Thursday, January 30, 2014

Testing out my new(ish) toy

So a few months back I decided to buy a GoPro.  If you haven't heard of them, they're small camera that shoot high definition still pictures, videos, and make time-lapses.  In addition to their small size, they're highly shock resistant and come with a case that makes them waterproof.  In short, they're arguably the best action camera on the market.  Whenever you see those action videos of people surfing, skiing, skydiving, etc., and wonder what type of camera they used, it's typically a GoPro.

Because of the small size, it's perfect to pack in my flight bag and take on trips.  I've done everything from getting a time-lapse of the sunrise over L.A. from the 16th floor of our Burbank hotel, to strapping it to my head, renting a bike, and biking around San Luis Obispo.  There are tons of ways to mount this thing, ranging from helmet mounts, to suction cups, to tripod mounts, chest mounts, etc.  If I'm deadheading on a flight and the crew doesn't mind, getting a time-lapse of the flight can be interesting.  Here is my setup.

Over Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

Doing so can create some pretty cool results.


This is the first video I made the day I bought it.  It's a stupid little video of me driving to work.


And then riding the train into the terminal.


It's also fun to stick to the roof of a car and drive around, like Portland, Oregon.


Or here in Phoenix


Or through rural Arizona


Or even around Hawaii


Or getting a nice shot of the sunset over Phoenix.


No comments:

Post a Comment