Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Perpetual Head Cold

Today was an easy one.  I started out with reserve from 5AM to 2PM.  I lucked out, since usually it's 5AM to 5PM.  During the drive to work, my normal hour and a half drive was over two hours, due to heavy snowfall during the night.  It snowed during my entire drive.  The reason it took me so long is because South Carolina doesn't prepare for snow.  The roads were not salted ahead of time, nor were they plowed, so I had to take the interstate.  It adds about 30 miles to my drive, but those roads weren't any better.  If I tried to go over about 45 MPH most of the way, my tires would just spin out of control under the thick compacted snow.  I only managed to slide around three times, and slide off the road once, but that wasn't until I got to Charlotte.  During my drive to Charlotte, crew tracking called and changed my reserve to ready reserve, starting at 6:45AM, and being done at 2.  By the time I got to the crew room, and watched a couple episodes of Beavis and Butthead via NetFlix (I know, I'm 12,) and finally fell asleep for a nice long nap, crew tracking called again, and gave me a Kansas City turn.  The flight out got my hopes up, because the flight was very empty.  Empty long flights are the easiest thing in the world.  The flight coming back on the other hand, completely full.  Boo.

This morning I woke up with a scratchy throat.  Despite my denial, and begging to be acid reflux, I now have a full fledged head cold.  Also, despite my teaching public school (band) for the past four years, both high school and middle school, I haven't built up the immunity towards getting sick like I thought I should have.  I stay sick, and I don't know why.  It's the exact same strain of cold too.  Very scratchy throat, roof of mouth yuckiness (the best way to put it, if you've ever had the sensation,) stopped up nose, and lots of snot.  I felt really run down today too, probably because I am.  The cold lasts for about a week every time I get it.  I manage to get this cold every two weeks, but actually, the throat scratchiness never really goes away.  I've chalked that up to acid reflux, but even that I doubt.  This is quite odd to me, since I'm so careful about taking care of myself, as far as cold prevention goes, but obviously, since it's the same cold every time, I'm getting it from myself.  I get a new toothbrush every time, sterilize the PA receiver before every flight with alcohol, clean my Blackberry with alcohol pads often, drink EmergenC™ and Airborne™ on every flight, take zinc daily, and use Zicam™ every time I feel a cold coming on.  There's got to be something I'm forgetting.  I live out of the same suitcase, and wear the same uniform on a daily basis.  There's got to be something I'm forgetting that's making me perpetually sick.  Maybe it's the laptop?  Any ideas are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. There's something going around... I am still trying to get my voice back from the cold I had a week ago. There's nothing you're doing wrong because I rarely get sick & have an immune system that is tough as steel...and one fever has ruined 2 weeks of my life.

    Suggestion: Drink lots of water, get lots of rest (yeah haha funny)...Sudadfed & Affrin in really bad sinus infections if you MUST fly.

    And if you thought the snow in CLT was bad.....hope you had fun enjoying Jack Frost's Fury Recovery Efforts.

    ReplyDelete