Monday, November 22, 2010

And so it begins...

I guess I started this blog for several reasons.  I've always enjoyed writing, but never had a reason to write; anything I wrote was simply self-serving, although therapeutic at times.  I have enjoyed reading Flight Level 390, for the past few years; a blog written and maintained by a US Airways A320 series captain.  He gives insight to what it's really like to work for an airline.  This is someone who also truly enjoys their job, and still takes pleasure in sharing the little things that he encounters on a daily basis with the world.  Far too often I'm surrounded by negativity--much of the reason I changed from my previous profession.  I hear pilots and flight attendants complaining about their job on a daily basis--maybe a schedule they didn't want, an unexpected delay, news from crew tracking they didn't want to hear--a whole plethora of things to complain about really.  The reality is, I get paid to fly.  I refuse to let the small things bother me; that's just a part of any job.  We were told at training that we have to be flexible.  When I'm not getting paid to fly, I'm getting paid to lounge around in the crew room on reserve, or people watch inside the terminal; as I call it, "airport appreciation."  Today (now) I have ready reserve, which is being on call in uniform, ready to hop on a plane at a moment's notice, to fill in for someone who has called in sick, is a no show, or another crew that is delayed at another airport due to weather, maintenance, etc.  The crew room is overcrowded right now, so I found a nice corner of the E concourse to relax in, write on here, and enjoy my new subscription to NexFlix.  Last time I had ready reserve (2 days ago,) I got in at 5AM, watched 7 hours of Dexter on NetFlix, and went home.  I suppose I should feel guilty about watching 7 hours of TV in a lounge chair for my "job," but it makes up for how miserable I was teaching.  More on that later, I'm sure.

The main reason I started this (and the main reason for my recent Dexter addiction,) was someone I recently met, who is a food and healthy eating blogger.  Seeing someone who is passionate about everything I'm interested in (food, exercise, travel, and cats,) and writing about it with enthusiasm was the boost I needed to get off my ass and get started with this blog.  What will it entail?  Who knows.  Whatever strikes me to write about I guess.  Right now I'm off to text said person back and forth, watch more NetFlix, and wait for crew tracking to call.

No comments:

Post a Comment